I'm Creating this more for just myself, to keep ideas and recipes where I will always know how and where to find them; no matter where I am...

I probably won't update very often or possibly even remember I have it after this next week, but I thought it was a good idea so I'm going with it for now.

Your welcome to look, comment and even join in if you would like. I just thought it would be fun if nothing else!

So lets enjoy!

If you want to be actively involved with this blog and share some of your fun ideas let me know. Email me at macijill@hotmail.com and I will add you to the list!

The more the merrier!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Funnel Cake


Funnel Cake Recipe (serves 6 people)

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup milk,  plus more if needed
Canola oil, for frying
1 cup confectioners' sugar  for topping (you can add 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon to the sugar if you want)

Sift flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk the egg and granulated sugar.  Whisk the egg into the milk mixture. Gently stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture. The batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter, but thin enough to pour. Make sure it doesn't have any big lumps. Add more milk if needed (up to 2-3 tablespoons)

Heat 2 inches of canola oil in a pot with deep sides over medium heat until it gets to 375. If you're like me and you don't have a frying thermometer then just heat it until a drop of water sizzles when dropped into the oil. Cover the hole of a funnel with you finger and pour 1/2 cup batter in.  Hold the funnel over the oil and remove your finger, moving the funnel around in circles to create a web pattern (it will look like lots of blobs but as you continue to add batter they will cook together). Cook for about 30 seconds until the batter floats and the underside is golden. Use a slotted spoon and flip to cook the other side for another 30 or so seconds or until golden. Place the funnel cake on a paper towel and let cool for a minute. Use a sifter to top with powdered sugar and serve. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment